Thursday, March 31, 2011

my better (or worse) half


Thanks to Josh for saving the day! The only person I wanted to talk to yesterday came home early and dropped by the flower shop on his way. The lady asked what it was for as she tried to help him decide what to put in the boquet. "Is it for a birthday?" "No..." "Anniversary?" "Nope..." Awkward silence. "Just a bad day, I guess." "Oh, I get it." She probably thought she was making up something for an unfaithful husband as he tries to make amends.

Josh won't really let me talk to people about how he is doing, so I thought I would write it up for all our friends and any random reader. Kidding. I won't give details. But we have been talking about how this has worked for us this last month. If I am down he automatically kicks in to hopeful/helpful/happy mode, and if he's down I have to be the opposite too. Moods change daily and even hourly, but one of us is usually okay. Lately he has been the okay one (as my last post might suggest).

At first, I was all hope and faith, while he had a harder time. This surprised me, as last diagnosis he was never doubting.

When he was so sad I tried to figure it out. "What is it that is bothering you? Is it the financial aspect of it all? Is it that I will gone for treatments, or sick all the time, and you will have to take care of everything like last time? Is it the possibility of being a single dad? Raising these kids by yourself? Alone every night when the kids are asleep by 9?"

The perfect answer? "No. I'm not worried about any of those things. I can handle all that. It's just the thought of you leaving."

Holy Luck of America, I got a good one!

11 comments:

  1. I don't even know you but I can so relate to some of the things you are feeling. I am sorry there is such a big 'suck' factor to your life right now. The up and down emotions alone can suck the life out of a family. Hang in there you guys. There are lots of people praying for you I'm sure. Oh, btw...I am friends with Jon and Bryanna and stumbled upon your blog after reading theirs. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did get a good one, and so did he!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll say you did. Josh is a stud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen you did! And so did he. You guys are a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alisa-I am your dad's secretary, and he just gave me your blog address. What a sweet post this was! I love the picture of you and your husband (and your cute little boy saluting).
    I think the world of your parents, and feel so sad for all that your family is going through right now. Please know that all of us at the office will keep praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alisa,
    reading your post reminded me of me and Antione a few years back when we were going through infertility. Antione was the man, he was supposed to be the strong one. Be there for me. (at least that's what he thought) But I know he was hurting too and there were times, with God's help, that I was able to be strong for him. And then later when we had Ava, again, he was the one who carried me through those 4 months. You guys can make it through this and anything else that comes your way because you have each other, and of course you have God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You both are amazing! The perfect match, forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josh really is such a gem. Bryon and I are the same way with the mood thing. I wonder why that happens...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh is amazing. You are both-mazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Heart" Barbie and Ken! "heart"

    ReplyDelete